Impact of Thursday's events on Tube Challenging

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Impact of Thursday's events on Tube Challenging

Post by CrunchySaviour »

The events of 7/07 have led to even-further-heightened security on the Tube and increased police patrols across the network.

I think that, over time, these patrols will gradually reduce in frequency and quantity. Certainly, I have seen a number of transport police patrolling the London Underground (and was even apprehended by one pair for swearing once while experiencing a bad exam day) but I should think that the number of these patrols was considerably smaller than that now.

A number of Tube lines are suspended, and could be for a good few weeks, while debris is removed and as a direct consequence of damage due to the explosions. How long will it be before a service is operating fully enough for a World Record to be attempted?

Given that enough of the network is running, I shall attempt a sponsored full challenge in September in order to raise money for the orphaned girl mentioned in Geoff's blog.

I have a feeling that people wearing dust masks will be looked upon with a greater degree of suspicion or fear following 7/07, but what about Tube Challengers?

Will the heightened security and increased numbers of police patrols cause more people to raise the alarm when people are seen running along platforms at top speed?

Will the police patrols apprehend Tube Challengers?

Discuss.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

2 things:

1 - I was out today, and found myself at Canada Water and (yes I know it's sad) ended up doing sketch of the station to get complete carriaged positions, etc... becuase I didn't realise there were multiple set of stairs/escalators.

And of course, a BTP chap saw me and came over to see what I was doing...

2 - Can I suggest the next Zone 1, we do as a charity that Ken L has setup for familes of those that lost people yesterday. Seems like the obvious thing to do to me,
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Great idea, Geoff. It's good to see you're still up to your usual tricks, too!

edit: Zone 1. We could say that each competitor must donate pounds and pence equal to their time in hours and minutes:
eg 2hrs 57minutes = £2.57

and/or sponsorship from friends and family as a fixed amount, or as a certain amount (2p to 5p) per station, giving between £1.30 ish and £3... or more...
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

lol! "usual tricks". I was there to go shopping in Decathlon. Honest. I'd just come back from ExCeL. had an abortive attempt at doing all the DLR (seeing as I was out the way anyway), and then when to get some new bike gloves.

anyway, i'm going to cruely end this thread and start another one with new but sort-of-similar idea ...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tubeguru likes the idea of a charity Zone 1 Challenge.

Let's do it.
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Let's get this back to the matter in hand. Has anybody been stopped and searched under Section 44 of the Terorism Act 2000 whilst undertaking any Tube Challenge related activities, especially making notes at stations?

http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/ ... ches.shtml gives advice on what to do if you are stopped, but how likely do you think it will be that it happens?

Has the London Undergroung been identified as a place specified in an authorisation under the act?

FYI, the act can be found at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00011--f.htm
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

I've quite openly made lots of notes at tube stations since, and not had so much as an enquiring glare.

Guess I just look angelic!
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I have to admit that I've been behaving much less "suspiciously" on the tube since the attacks. No more timing station terminus run out run in times, or other geeky stuff.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

The interest thing, for me, is that I hadn't seen large scale policing around the tube at Waterloo for a couple of weeks and then on friday morning there must have been about 15 cops on patrol around the jubilee line ticket hall and at the bottom of the first set of escalators.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.