Battersea / Nine Elms extension

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
al
Zone 6

Re: Battersea / Nine Elms extension

Post by al »

Yes, but you can't pass through it either hence no record possible!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

andytube wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 22:05 I'm working in London for a few weeks, so headed down to Battersea after work.

At least I can say that I have done all 272 stations.

RobbieM - go for it. 2022 :-)
Ooooh! You've whetted my appetite!

Meanwhile, I hope I upgrade to the 272 like yourself before 2021 is out!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I am fortunately in London on Saturday afternoon to see some friends and imbibe some stouts, so I hope to swing by at some point - although this will depend on quite how many stouts are imbibed first...
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

jamesthegill wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 17:04 I am fortunately in London on Saturday afternoon to see some friends and imbibe some stouts, so I hope to swing by at some point - although this will depend on quite how many stouts are imbibed first...
The number of stouts imbibed may determine the style of your 'swing by', I guess... :D
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

Pub opposite Battersea looks nice.

So I guess the Heathrow loop is not in use at all at the moment.

Go for it Robbie. I'm already starting to make plans for 2022. Although hoping things are fully returned to normal by then. July 1st? Would be more motivated to do it if someone else was doing it on the same day. Chance to race against someone :-)
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

I'm intending to have a go at it as soon as Heathrow Terminal 4 is open again.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

No pass-through option - all HT4 trains are terminating at Hatton Cross before going round the loop.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

One useful thing is the pub opposite Battersea Power Station tube station might be convenient for, well, public conveniences, if you have a few minutes to wait for the next train. Actually, I forgot to check whether there are any public toilets in the new stations. (Not the most glamorous aspect of tube challenge attempts but something you have to think about).
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

A little tip for anyone doing a challenge to try and get top of the reseted leaderboards: on the ato parts of the sub surface lines the doors don’t always open automatically. A few seconds wasted could be a missed connection!! :!:
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

RobbieM wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 09:21 A slight tweak to the lyrics of the "Underground Can-can" song will also be necessary...
Don't worry, I'm working on it! :)
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

trains 500 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 08:10 A little tip for anyone doing a challenge to try and get top of the reseted leaderboards: on the ato parts of the sub surface lines the doors don’t always open automatically. A few seconds wasted could be a missed connection!! :!:
Does this mean you could be in a carriage where the doors won't open? Since arrival and departure times are noted when the doors open/close what do you write down in the logbook so it's legal
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

They just dont open automatically hence you have to click the button . Before ato all doors opened automatically without having to click the button.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

trains 500 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 09:07 They just dont open automatically hence you have to click the button . Before ato all doors opened automatically without having to click the button.
Is this a change from before? I'm curious to know why and when they changed it.

Having said that, I know it used to be the case in the past, like in the 1990s, because that's why the buttons are on the doors in the first place. It was so that if no-one was getting off at a station, and it was outside and cold, wet and windy, the doors didn't open for no reason. But I think they had to change it so the doors always opened because apparently occasionally some idiots would deliberately close the doors on people as a "joke", or perhaps not allow people to open them when they wanted to get out. (If any of that is incorrect I'd welcome a correction).
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

From what I've seen, the driver still opens the doors on the automated sections of the sub-surface. If the train is in the station for a while, then the doors will close to keep the heat/aircon in after a while. They can be opened again by pressing the button. The driver still closes the doors before leaving the station (after checking for tube challengers hurling themselves through at the last second).
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

EastActionWoman wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 21:47 If the train is in the station for a while, then the doors will close to keep the heat/aircon in after while.
The driver only unlocks the doors now not opens them ( only on ato parts )

and the s stock have always shut doors for air control this isn’t new.
ANDY_JS wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 19:13
Is this a change from before? I'm curious to know why and when they changed it.
[/quote]

Yes it is changed before the driver opened doors now they just unlock them ( although I will say this isn’t 100 % always the case ) and all of this is just from 1 short ato experience from kgx to liv st.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds