Evidence Requirements

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
tufnellpark
Zone 3
Posts: 170
Joined: 06 Apr 2015, 11:53
Location: Lewes, Sussex

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by tufnellpark »

roblo97 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:37 So if the battery life on a Go-Pro Hero 9*, filming in 1080p at 60 fps is 144 minutes, and the record is around the 16 hours 45 minutes mark, or 1005 minutes, you would need at least 7 fully charged batteries, maybe more and to film in 4k at 60fps, at least 14 batteries would be needed!
*Other brands are available! :P
Had a chat with Guinness WR a while back. Remember they are just making sure they can independently verify any record attempt so don’t judge them too harshly. A journey log with station times is a must. They also require complete video (which is tricky) and hadn’t thought about practicalities ie how many batteries/power banks/sd cards you will need.Their answer was that’s up to you to sort out. I also asked why they needed witness statements and photos, which are just duplicating video evidence. No answer.

On one of my WRs they questioned a photo where we had missed a station roundel. On inspection it also showed a signal number reflected in the train cab so we were able to prove which station it was by the signal number. Don’t be scared by Guinness rules but be sensible and honest about adhering to them. Be prepared for them to ask any question they like but you have to be able to answer it.
London 16:14:10 Paris 13:23:33 Zone 1 02:36:30 Overground 09:07:35 Metrolink 05:27:56
Land's End to John O'Groats by bus 3 days, 8 hrs, 17mins
tufnellpark
Zone 3
Posts: 170
Joined: 06 Apr 2015, 11:53
Location: Lewes, Sussex

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by tufnellpark »

roblo97 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:37 So if the battery life on a Go-Pro Hero 9*, filming in 1080p at 60 fps is 144 minutes, and the record is around the 16 hours 45 minutes mark, or 1005 minutes, you would need at least 7 fully charged batteries, maybe more and to film in 4k at 60fps, at least 14 batteries would be needed!
*Other brands are available! :P
Andi and Steve’s WR is 15 hours, 45 mins. I reckon more like 90 mins per battery so you need 11 batteries. Your point Rob is still valid. Presumably you could reduce that to two if you use rechargeable batteries and a power bank.
London 16:14:10 Paris 13:23:33 Zone 1 02:36:30 Overground 09:07:35 Metrolink 05:27:56
Land's End to John O'Groats by bus 3 days, 8 hrs, 17mins
User avatar
Steeevooo
All Zones
Posts: 1125
Joined: 14 Jul 2005, 12:23
Location: Rainham, Essex

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by Steeevooo »

tufnellpark wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 07:55
Had a chat with Guinness WR a while back...A journey log with station times is a must. They also require complete video (which is tricky) and hadn’t thought about practicalities ie how many batteries/power banks/sd cards you will need.Their answer was that’s up to you to sort out. I also asked why they needed witness statements and photos, which are just duplicating video evidence. No answer.
This very much accords with my own discussions with Guinness. I also raised the point of whether records which take even longer (I gave the example of longest marathon bartending, for which the record is currently 111 hours) would also need to be fully recorded, and how this potentially restricts a lot of potential record attempts. Again, I received no answer.

I'm afraid that at the moment it is one of those cases where the development of technology actually hinders the challenger - the availability of video footage makes it easier for the approver at GWR, hence they stipulate it as a requirement. Unfortunately the practicalities of doing so at present (at least until such technology is developed that a Go-Pro style device can run continuously for 16+ hours) put a rather large burden onto the challengers themselves.
RJSRdg
All Zones
Posts: 1011
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by RJSRdg »

This has an 8-hour removable battery, so only one change of battery needed if attempting the current record.

Not cheap, though!
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge
roblo97
Zone 3
Posts: 175
Joined: 12 Feb 2017, 19:04
Location: North Somerset

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by roblo97 »

tufnellpark wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 08:04
roblo97 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 15:37 So if the battery life on a Go-Pro Hero 9*, filming in 1080p at 60 fps is 144 minutes, and the record is around the 16 hours 45 minutes mark, or 1005 minutes, you would need at least 7 fully charged batteries, maybe more and to film in 4k at 60fps, at least 14 batteries would be needed!
*Other brands are available! :P
Andi and Steve’s WR is 15 hours, 45 mins. I reckon more like 90 mins per battery so you need 11 batteries. Your point Rob is still valid. Presumably you could reduce that to two if you use rechargeable batteries and a power bank.
Oops! thanks for reminding me of that! Can't remember where I got that 16:45 from either :lol:
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
jrparkin
Zone 2
Posts: 85
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 09:56

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by jrparkin »

What about if you have two people from Guinness to be Master Stopwatch. Do you still need video footage then?
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
RJSRdg
All Zones
Posts: 1011
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by RJSRdg »

Yes, because you still need to evidence that you've visited all the intermediate stations.
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge
xcooler123
Zone 5
Posts: 441
Joined: 17 Jun 2015, 10:20
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by xcooler123 »

Steeevooo wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 09:15
tufnellpark wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 07:55
Had a chat with Guinness WR a while back...A journey log with station times is a must. They also require complete video (which is tricky) and hadn’t thought about practicalities ie how many batteries/power banks/sd cards you will need.Their answer was that’s up to you to sort out. I also asked why they needed witness statements and photos, which are just duplicating video evidence. No answer.
This very much accords with my own discussions with Guinness. I also raised the point of whether records which take even longer (I gave the example of longest marathon bartending, for which the record is currently 111 hours) would also need to be fully recorded, and how this potentially restricts a lot of potential record attempts. Again, I received no answer.

I'm afraid that at the moment it is one of those cases where the development of technology actually hinders the challenger - the availability of video footage makes it easier for the approver at GWR, hence they stipulate it as a requirement. Unfortunately the practicalities of doing so at present (at least until such technology is developed that a Go-Pro style device can run continuously for 16+ hours) put a rather large burden onto the challengers themselves.
On a slightly positive note, at least they are being semi-consistent which has been another issue with them in the past (although that could change at a moments notice...)
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
jrparkin
Zone 2
Posts: 85
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 09:56

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by jrparkin »

Another spanner in the works I've just discovered in the last couple of days. London Underground don't like you taking photos which is necessary for evidence

Well I say they don't like you doing it, you can if you do it without a flash and they are for personal use. But does taking them for Guinness violate the 'personal use' rule

You can buy a permit to make sure it's super legal but that costs you £35
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by tubeguru »

jrparkin wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 16:32 Another spanner in the works I've just discovered in the last couple of days. London Underground don't like you taking photos which is necessary for evidence

Well I say they don't like you doing it, you can if you do it without a flash and they are for personal use. But does taking them for Guinness violate the 'personal use' rule

You can buy a permit to make sure it's super legal but that costs you £35
LU's rules on photos are frankly stupid. They've been in place since the bombings of 2005, and they seem to think that everyone who takes a picture of anything now is a terrorist threat ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
RJSRdg
All Zones
Posts: 1011
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by RJSRdg »

I think they mean "personal" as in non-commercial.

So my understanding is yes, you can take photos for your own use - send them to Guinness, put them on a website, Facebook etc as you wish, but if you want to sell them in book, or as posters, then that's not personal use.
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge
jrparkin
Zone 2
Posts: 85
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 09:56

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by jrparkin »

Ah that's good. Even so I'll try and look as innocent as possible with my rucksack and Harry Potter notebook.
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
tintin
Zone 1
Posts: 20
Joined: 29 Dec 2019, 21:29

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by tintin »

tubeguru wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 17:57
jrparkin wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 16:32 Another spanner in the works I've just discovered in the last couple of days. London Underground don't like you taking photos which is necessary for evidence

Well I say they don't like you doing it, you can if you do it without a flash and they are for personal use. But does taking them for Guinness violate the 'personal use' rule

You can buy a permit to make sure it's super legal but that costs you £35
LU's rules on photos are frankly stupid. They've been in place since the bombings of 2005, and they seem to think that everyone who takes a picture of anything now is a terrorist threat ...
The "no flash" rule existed long before 2005.
Tramlink: 2:07:14 (301219)
DLR: 1:56:33 (130320)
South of the River: 2:05:58 (050220)
nozzacook
All Zones
Posts: 1211
Joined: 17 Apr 2006, 16:45
Location: Zone 900

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by nozzacook »

I believe the no flash rule is so that the drivers vision is not effected in the tunnel sections.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
User avatar
tubeguru
Site Administrator
Posts: 8987
Joined: 30 Jan 2005, 22:08
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Evidence Requirements

Post by tubeguru »

I wasn't talking about the "no flash" rule.

I was talking about the "no photos" rule. I was approached by a member of staff at Finchley Central once, standing on a bridge in broad daylight, taking a picture with no trains present. He mentioned something about not taking photos - "not in the current climate".

I had to laugh to myself.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2021
Member of sweet FA
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests