Tube 8 - February 2005

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
lazza747

Tube 8 - February 2005

Post by lazza747 »

Oooh, a nice shiny new forum and you've let US loose on it?

Well, first off then, myself and Geoff, as you may know, are going out to do Tube 8 later this month. Now initially we thought we'd be doing it in order to set a new record due to Heathrow T4 closing.

But it appears that Guinness may not recognise a new record and will insist that the current record stands. In which case, it seems pointless doing it, unless we just want to beat our own time for the hell of it.

Fortunately, purpose has been restored to the attempt by Philippa and Megan (two of Geoff's iPod contributors - <a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/tube8.htm">see here</a>). They're collecting money for charity and we're going to help them by doing the tube challenge for them (they had considered it themselves).

So, at the risk of sounding demanding - give us/them money! It's all for a good cause - we don't change interest so who could say no? :-)
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

So...

Geoff and Neil's blogs have both gone quiet. Geoff says they're doing it Tue, Wed or Thur. It's probably not Tuesday - thats been and gone and Geoff blogged late on Monday. Besides, all Geoff's previous attempts have been on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

(I'm going to sponsor you soon guys, I haven't forgotten.)
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I didn't see them when i was doing Zone 1 today, although it would have been nice (but what are the chances of that happening, eh?)
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

well funny you should say that! Geoff met Steve Paull at Uxbridge when both of them were attempting the World Record on the same day! bizarre!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Bizarre... but I think that if you're doing the full challenge, there is more of a chance of seeing someone else doing the same, than seeing someone doing the zone 1 challenge. It seems to make sense to me, at least!!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Good morning boys and girls.

We're back! We did indeed do it yesterday (Wednesday). Once I've gone and had a nice bath and got all the grime off of me, I'll be writing it all up nicely (On Geofftech...)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

Nice one guys!

Evidently the weather wasn't great, but a decent time was achieved regardless. I note you decided not to wear shorts this time!

I understand the obvious reasons why you have never made attempts on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays or Mondays, but would you mind telling us all if there is a specific reason why you have never made an attempt on a Tuesday?

(Oh, and if I want to PayPal you sponsorship, do I have to register with PayPal?)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Have we not been on a Tuesday? [Checks..]

Friday, Thursday, Thursday, Thursday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday and now Wednesday.

So there .. i DID do it on a Tuesday once!

( http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechallenge/tube5.htm was a Tuesday)

A lot of the time, I take the Thursday off of work, and then take the Friday off as just so that I get four days off in a row.

One time I did it on the Wednesday and I had to be in work as per normal on the Thursday ... I didn't like that much ... !
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

After reading your account of yesterday's activites, I'm no longer as enthusiastic about doing the whole thing myself... :?

I'm certainly going to do the theoretical homework anyway - finding a solid route - since this is the part I enjoy the most. I'll probably stick to things like Zone 1 Challenge when it comes to actually DOING it.

Anyway, I'm impressed by your efforts an do congratulate you on the NEW UNOFFICIAL RECORD.

HÃ¥kan
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Yeah! Go Geoff! Go Geoff! Half-go Neil! Half-go Neil!

I shall give you some sponsor money on May 20th.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

I'm not going to claim any overall credit for this since I didn't go the whole way but I like the 'half-Neil' bit :-)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I think it honestly does take a lot more out of you than people realise. A lot of people think it's just "Sitting on trains", but there is much more to it than that.

Doing it in the dark and cold was not fun though. Roll on spring and summer please, it's just so much nicer.
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

When's tube 9? :)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Take your pick:

i. If someone beats 18h 35m 43s
ii. If someone beats 19h 5m 0s AND Guinness confirms that 274 is a goer
iii. When Terminal 5 opens
iv. If I'm bored one day with nothing better to do! :D